Sunday, July 6, 2008

Balance

It seems that I’m doing everything but writing these days. I’m so frustrated with the process of filming, editing, saving, uploading, and displaying video that I could scream. I swear, between the Happy Birthdays, Salute the Troops, and Pandora posts, I’m hoping you guys still realize that

this is a Sports Card Blog. I think I’m just trying to do to much to soon.

For all of the “Niedenfuer Love” going around, I assure you there is some Pujols and Fielder hate comin’… Please be patient. I think these are some sort of blog growing pains…

A few weeks ago, I filmed a box break of 2008 Topps Series 2 Jumbo. It was horrible. Tonight, I filmed a break of 2008 Topps Chrome. It was also horrible. I filmed a box break with Connor of 1990 Topps. While it turned out GREAT, it’s 22 minutes long and so it’s been edited into 3 smaller pieces to display.

I’ve been “arguing” with Google, Vimeo, and YouTube all night regarding error messages. When I say “arguing” I mean swearing at my computer. Yes, I say all of the “bad words” in real life that you know and love, just not on Treasure Never Buried. I may have even invented a few new cuss words tonight. While Gellman and I might seem like two opposite ends of the spectrum, I have a feeling we would get along better than most people realize.

At first I was afraid that breaking our 1990 Topps video into smaller pieces would prove to be a bad thing. Now, honestly, I think it’s better that way. Anyone interested in watching it can watch it in “pieces” rather than trying to remember where you were if you leave and come back to it. Hopefully, you guys will enjoy watching it. It has some dead spots but for the most part it’s pretty funny. Connor is hilarious in a few parts. And the ending is pretty awesome…

Unfortunately, the 2008 Topps Chrome break has been cancelled due to technical difficulties. I have a comprehensive list that I will use to do the first product review. You can hold me to that. I can’t blame that on the computer if it doesn’t get done. All in all, the box was better than I expected. I jumped right over the “hits” and kept rolling with the inserts. Topps Chrome is an outstanding product! But, more about that later…

For now, to those of you that have filmed successful video box breaks that you have published to the web and/or your blog, I’m curious as to what advice you have on making them work. I know that’s a very open ended question but I’m struggling a little more than I thought I would. ALL advice is greatly appreciated.

I’ll have a full product review posted tomorrow after work. Until then, flood me with any comments you have about what you do/don’t do to film your box breaks.

And to Dave at Fielder’s Choice who stated that the review/video might make or break him on buying a box of 2008 Chrome I leave you with the following dialogue….

jv: WHOA! Hey, Baby, look at this!

Lori: Anything worth anything?

jv: Nope! But, look at how the light bends when you move it! It’s awesome…

Lori: uhhh…I just don’t see it…

jv: It’s beautiful! Look at it again! (magic still eludes her…)

Dave, you want a box of these cards. The wife might question your manhood when you’re finished, but I assure you, you want a box of these cards…

4 comments:

Dave said...

July 6, 2008 at 2:03 am e

Haha … yeah it is tough to get women (or I should should say most women because Tatiana and Patricia are definite exceptions) to understand the magic of cards. I actually bought a Topps Chrome blaster at Wal Mart today and I do like the cards. Even my wife was somewhat impressed by them, but she doesn’t quite get the whole refractor thing either.

My only concern with Topps Chrome is that with all the inserts/parallels, it’ll take forever to build a base set. Still, I love the inserts and parallels. I’ll probably buy a hobby box sometime soon. And I’ll post something on my blog about it soon too. Topps > Upper Deck lately in my opinion.

jv said...

July 6, 2008 at 2:16 am e

Honestly, and I don’t want to blow too much of the review here, but I didn’t pull ONE duplicate! Rough estimate, I cleared 50 - 60% of the base set in one box. Then just grab a blaster once a week to fill in the gaps. I want to buy a box of this again but I’ve gotta set some cash aside for the ‘08 Ginter.

And you could probably trade up one copper you don’t want for a couple of base you do. Honestly, I would LOOOVVVEEE to build a set of the copper refractors. Those things are friggin’ sweet!

Gellman said...

July 7, 2008 at 4:11 pm e

I dont think there is a more fun thing to do than invent swear words. Call someone a “mank” and they dont get it, but you do….

BTW, youtube is like a jumpy new puppy. You have to be gentle and pet him very nice for the dog to cooperate. If you go to fast or make sudden movements, it gets scared quite easily, and then you are screwed.

jv said...

Pretty much, Gellman... I think I've mastered it finally though...