Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Busy Lil' Bee...

I get frustrated with myself lately and with good reason. I'm sure that some of you may wonder why I don't update with new posts as often as the other guys. So for anyone curious, here's a brief rundown of all the projects I'm currently working on. Tack on working 50+ hours per week at my restaurant, being the father of a soon to be 5 year old, and a full time husband / yard mower, and I find myself stretched thin. Oh, and the towel rack that fell off the wall in my son's bathroom about 4 months ago needs fixing. I can't forget about that.

BLOG PROMOTION

I'm uploading the links to all of my Grand Slams as well as all of my own posts into 15 different Bookmarking sites. This might not bring us much traffic but it should bring some. In conjunction with this, I'm uploading my personal best posts as stories to 20+ different posting sites. If you would like a list of the sites I'm using, please let me know. I have signed up for accounts to each of them but I haven't tested all of them yet. Some may fall of the to-do list in the near future. If they all fall away, you can bank on Squiddoo and StumbleUpon being the only ones left.

CARD SCANS

Over the last year, I have created a monster electronic archive of card scans. I currently have over 5,000 individual card scans in it, 99% are my own. Ultimately, I intend on creating a website to host what I hope will become the largest online source of card images on the net. I scan 9 cards at a time in a page and then chop them down into individual cards. This is the time consuming part so if you have scans that you would like to donate, please email me. I currently have 107 pages of cards to "chop". That's almost 1,000 new scans to fix and I haven't even touched the commons yet. Yes, 1989 Donruss and all the Sportflics in my collection will eventually be scanned. (Check out the Screen Shots below for an idea of how the tree works.)







ONLINE TRADING

I am working on building a reputation at the various Sports Card Trading forums around the net. So far I've become a member of the Bench (TNB papajv) and Sports Card Forum (papajv33) and have a few trades in the works. The frustrating part is having to constantly copy and paste my trade lists into a format that can be displayed to other traders via the forums.

Therefore, I'm also working on a website to host my collection. I currently use Beckett's Online "My Collections" to organize it and unless they come up with a better site in their upcoming site renovation, I've gotta figure out something else. Eventually I want to tie it into the Card Scan Image Database Site and ultimately to launch this site for everyone to use. I would like to host a site that allows you to build your collection online. This may be a bite bigger than I can chew seeing as I'm not a web developer. But, then again, I wasn't a blogger before I started TNB either and it's done fairly well for itself. This project may take years to perfect but I would prefer it take months. ANY help, suggestions, comments, ANYTHING will be greatly appreciated.



BUYING AND SELLING

I now have my own eBay account (I'm no longer piggy backing off my wife's.) I've made some purchases but I'm having trouble getting into selling off some singles. And, I still haven't turned my back on NAXCOM, I just have to get my collection into an easily uploadable format and only after they figure out who and what they want to be. Apparently, they are in the midst of a midlife crisis. NAXCOM is now SPORTSBUY, just so you know.

SET BUILDING

I'm still working on my 2008 Topps Chrome Copper Project and intend to revive my 2007 Allen & Ginter base set very soon. Not to mention, our 1990 Topps sets and the inserts for the 1993 Studio Set. I'm not far from mastering the Trading Card Sites so TNB will slowly integrate with these endeavours soon. Don't worry, this blog won't become a constant link to these other sites but I can't pass up on the fact that TNB has gained such a devout fanbase either. I'll keep it as unobtrusive as possible.

And that's pretty much the gist of it. I don't want anyone thinking that I'm lazy or out of things to say. I'm just pretty much overwhelmed with all of the side projects lately.

And if I don't get that towel rack back up in my son's amazingly orange bathroom soon, I may be in the market for a new wife as well...

4 comments:

Wax Heaven said...

Wow, and I thought I had a lot on my plate. Good luck with your plans.

As far as the Copper cards, do you mean the Copper Refractors? I have 3 or 4 of them, I think.

jv said...

yeah, I have a link on the right hand side of what I have and what I'm missing. I'm waiting on a package from Dave and I have a trade pending on SCF but I'm still WAAAAYYY behind on getting to even the 25% complete mark...

Let me know what you have and I'd like to trade for them if you want...

You wiped me on Andrew Miller's though...lol. I haven't pulled one since our last trade...

I might have to send some Griffey's back to you...haha

Wax Heaven said...

No thanks, I'll just send out the Coppers if you need them. I won't ask for anything in return.

I will look through my collection this weekend.

jv said...

Thanks, Mario! That's really awesome! I appreciate it...