Sunday, June 22, 2008

Buried Treasure - 1996 Topps Laser

Tonight, I have to finish the Jack Black / Mos Def movie that I started last night. Then, I have to be up around 5 am to pack out for our day at the Waterpark. And, I’m exhausted from a long “last day” at work before my week’s vacation begins tomorrow. That being said, I still intended on writing tonight for an hour or two about what I consider to be one of the top three “Best Looking Base Sets Of All Time.” It’s also in the list of “Extremely High Dollar Packs Which Ultimately Made Me Want To Leave The Hobby”.














I was really looking forward to writing a post about this set myself. After 2 pages of Google Searches I realized that I would simply be rewording three really good posts that have already been written. You might consider this lazy and I assure you that it’s not my intent to be lazy. I just don’t see any need in overkill on the subject. I can’t imagine finding any more information on this set or any better insight than these three writers already have.

BUT, I’ve had my heart set on featuring the 1996 Topps Laser Set as the first in the “Buried Treasure” series after my son fell in love with them during our"Building Our 1990 Topps Set" post. After reading these three blogs I feel it’s better to give these guys the credit for the work. My son and I only have 4 “Top Lasers” anyways so I have no real connection to the set other than having always admired it. For the photos, I’m inserting our four cards. Who knows, considering the low price on eBay, we may buy some unopened packs to bust. I’m sure Connor would love that.

Things Done To Cards

Sports Card Forum

The House of Cardboard

4 comments:

oljoe73 said...

June 23, 2008 at 7:52 am e

This is a cool set. The 90’s were great for making sets that caught kids eyes. I only have two Laser cards of Reds and plan on acquiring some more. Good luck with it!

The Hamiltonian said...

June 23, 2008 at 9:00 am e

Oh the 90s. That long running contest to see who could add the most technology to their cards.

I give top votes to everyone who thought: “Adding flames to this card would make it awesome!”

Cliff said...

June 23, 2008 at 8:47 pm e

Topps had a few card sets around this time which featured laser cuts. I figured they got a new toy. Thanks for the link back to Things Done To Cards.

Cliff

Dave said...

June 24, 2008 at 11:30 am e

I had never heard about Topps Laser until your post about them a few weeks ago. After that I checked eBay and found a full set for very cheap. The cards are pretty awesome! It would be nice to see some creativity like this from the card companies nowadays.