Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Instant Replay – Yes No Maybe

A few nights ago, my wife and I were watching a random MLB Game when the announcers mentioned an online poll regarding the use of instant replay in determining home run calls. My wife and I argued for almost a half hour about it. I was happy we argued. That meant she’s watching baseball and enjoying it. It also meant that I’m that much closer to her becoming excited when I mention “Refractors”. Ok, maybe not, but a man can dream.

Regardless, many proponents, including Yankee’s Skipper Joe Girardi, feel that this will speed up the game and improve the accuracy of calls. But, only when used for home run calls. My wife thinks the same way. Her opinion is, “Right is right, Wrong is wrong”.

I beg to differ. I feel that the umpire’s call is just as important to the game as the plays are themselves. I’m a purist when it comes to the game and feel that instant replay in one form will lead to instant replay in it’s entirety. Eventually we won’t even need umpires.

What do you think?

4 comments:

Ed said...

May 28, 2008 at 10:28 pm e

I think that instant replay in its’ very nature would take away from the game. The idea that it would speed things up is ridiculous. The only reason they are talking about it so much right now is because of a couple of home run calls. If it starts with home runs, where does it end? Any way, great blog. Keep it going.

jv said...

May 28, 2008 at 10:37 pm e

That’s my problem. I don’t want every close pitch going to instant replay. I can’t see how that would speed up the game at all. Thanks for kind words. I promise to keep it going if you promise to keep reading…lol… Deal? Thanks again for visiting my blog…

Ed said...

May 28, 2008 at 11:29 pm e

Easy. You are already on my favorites.

jv said...

May 29, 2008 at 12:04 am e

Awesome! I won’t let you down Ed…