Friday, May 30, 2008

My First Ever - White Whale

This card makes me feel like one of Pavlov’s dogs. Every time I look at it it’s like a bell going off and I can’t help but salivate over it. I’m sure that this won’t be my last “white whale, must-have-at-all-costs card.”

In the past, and in the future for that matter, I may say things that would lead the reader to believe I’m 100% against game-used inserts, sticker autos, and gimmicks. It’s not entirely true and I apologize if I sound like a hypocrite. I try to stay as consistent in my posts as possible. It’s not that I dislike the idea of these types of cards. In actuality, I love them. It’s what brought guys like me, Mario and some of you back into the hobby.

For Mario, it was a 2007 Topps Co-Signers Moonshots Dual Auto of Buzz Aldrin and A-Rod. You can hear Mario’s Story on Sport’s Collecting Radio here. Maybe I’ll hit the big time at some point and can post my own interview link. As my friend Trent says, “That would be the bees knees!”

For me it was the 2007 Topps Allen & Ginter George Washington DNA Hair Card. I was smitten by the idea of owning something with so much historical significance. I can’t help it, I love everything I’ve seen so far in sports cards involving U.S. History.

The problem I have with game-used, auto, and gimmick cards is the level that the card companies have reached in producing these items. The old adage, “You can never have too much of a good thing” doesn’t apply in this case. I think the card companies have reached overkill on the idea. So much so that the value of some of the cards produced today come out of the packs virtually worthless.

But back to the original topic of this post. I’m sure this Manny card won’t be the last card I watch slip away on eBay. But in 3 days and 5 hours, if I can’t find the $102.51 (or more considering the rate at which the price is climbing) I can say it was my first.

If anyone feels the Christmas Spirit hit them early this year, let me know, and I’ll give you my mailing address.

6 comments:

Mario A. said...

That card is beautiful. If you can get it for under $200…I think you should go for it.
Of course, you’d have to be real thrifty for the next few months on eBay.

Do it! Do it! Do it!

Dave said...

May 30, 2008 at 6:13 pm e

Please tell me you’re not a Red Sox fan!

jv said...

May 30, 2008 at 6:41 pm e

As my friend Trent also says, “Hells to the No!” I’m all Indians, die hard, through and through. I do watch both Sox because of Manny and now because of Carlos Quentin. I’ll probably start a mini collection of CQ soon. This guys a
“scrapper”! Also, because I’ll need a new “collectable” player in a few years when Manny heads to retirement.

jv said...

May 30, 2008 at 6:43 pm e

I think I am going to get it but only if it stays under $200. I don’t see it staying that low though. It’s already had 22 bids as of this morning. Granted 10 of them were probably mine until it got up to $50. Here’s to hoping…

Think I have to set up a charitable contribution site for donations before the auction ends? hahahaha…

Mario A. said...

May 30, 2008 at 7:25 pm e

Stop bidding on it until the last minute. You are only making it way more desirable. Yes, it’s a 1 of 1 but there are a thousand parallels these days.

jv said...

May 31, 2008 at 12:22 am e

That’s the same thing my wife said. I’m not very eBaytastic I guess… My wife just let me buy a jumbo hobby box of 2008 Topps Series 2 so I won’t have the money for it now anyways. Would anyone be interested in seeing a video box break of this? I’ve never done one but if anyone would like to see it I would be glad to do it. I wouldn’t have a post about it until I master getting it to display right it in the post. If you want to see it let me know.