Saturday, June 21, 2008

Pandora

Recently, I mentioned an online service called Pandora. I spend quite a bit of time on my laptop organizing my collection, my scans, and now writing posts for Treasure Never buried. When I’m not listening to the latest from Tuff Stuff’s Sports Collecting Radio, I’m listening to Pandora.

You simply create a log in and then pick a favorite artist, song or genre and Pandora does the rest. Pandora will then begin to play random songs from various artists that match your search. You simply choose thumbs up or down based on whether or not you like it. I can’t begin to tell you how many new “favorite” artists I have now. The site is 100% free although I think there is a premium version you can purchase. The free works fine enough for me.

As always, this is NOT an ad. I do not make any money from any of the services I list here. 99% of you may have heard of Pandora, use it, or don’t like it. The services and programs I feature here are for the 1% who never have. Hopefully, someone will find this service useful. Enjoy!

7 comments:

Mario A. said...

June 21, 2008 at 2:46 pm e

I am WAY too picky for Pandora. I have tried using it more than a few times at work and it didn’t do it for me.

I use to have a iPod with 30,000+ songs but it broke.

eisenworks said...

June 22, 2008 at 10:04 am e

I think people fall into two camps, vis a vis this kind of service, and there are two flavors to match. Mario, have you tried Jango?

Pandora picks music in a kind of left-brain way: It does a kind of DNA analysis of songs you like, and finds other music that shares a similar genetic make-up. Jango uses a social networking approach. That is, it finds other people who like the kind of music you like, and you can find out what they are listening to that you aren’t.

I did a screencast on Pandora here:

http://mainstream-guides.com/pandora

I’m working on one for Jango, and still another that contrasts the two systems’ results.

jv said...

June 22, 2008 at 7:34 pm e

Eisenworks, Thanks for the comment! I’ve never heard of Jango. I’m going to check it out tonight. Really great comment! Thanks for the feedback!

eisenworks said...

June 26, 2008 at 9:41 am e

Mario, thanks for the kind words…

I completed the screencast on Jango:

http://mainstream-guides.com/jango

As you’ll see, my perspective is that Jango’s social-network-centric model gives them a leg up in making money. That is, with the social network at the center, and music as the glue that holds it together, Jango keeps people hanging out on the site and interacting with it. That’s a formula for getting ad revenue…

One of their cute tricks is to scroll a ribbon of user images at the bottom of the player, along with the song they’re currently listening to. Click on the song and you can listen to it along with them; click on the user image and you get their profile page. That’s a pretty neat hook for getting people to interact.

eisenworks said...

June 26, 2008 at 9:45 am e

Oops! Sorry, Jason, I thought it was Mario that responded to my comment.

Mario: With 30,000 songs on your iPod, how picky can you be?

Mario A. said...

June 26, 2008 at 11:33 am e

Well, 30,000 songs meant that I NEVER again had to listen to radio or streaming radio. I don’t want to hear what DJ’s tell me is the next big thing. I’d rather read reviews (I do a lot) and find out for myself.

Good luck with Jango, though.

jv said...

June 29, 2008 at 10:02 pm e

I tried Jango and I can now see pros and cons with both. I think Pandora does a little better job of matching my interests though. I just type in Jack Johnson and I get Amos Lee, The Fray, some John Mayer, a little Jason Mraz and boatloads of Norah Jones. I’m a happy camper.

In Jango, I typed in Jack Johnson and got three Blink-182 songs and some Smashing Pumpkins. Not bad music, just not in any way related to Mr. Johnson’s stuff…

Yes, that’s right, I have a teacup chihuahua, listen to Jack Johnson, and write sappy posts about being a dad. Man, Where did my beer drinkin’, partying days go?