Monday, July 14, 2008

Product Review - 2004 Topps Chrome Hobby Series 2

This is the second product review conducted at TNB. I'm proud to announce that we also have a video box break for this product! I think we've worked out most of the major kinks that we've had with doing previous box breaks...

Please remember to leave some feedback if you have a point of view about this product. I was really excited to bust this as I was not involved in the hobby when it first came out. 2004 Topps Chrome is a new product to me! Without further adieu...



Product Review - 2004 Topps Chrome Hobby Series 2

PRODUCT DETAILS:

4 Cards per Pack / 20 Packs per Box

Release Date – June 15, 2004

Great Price on a Box - $49.99 Buy It Now on eBay




BY THE NUMBERS:

66 - Base

5 – Refractors (Eric Young, Bonderman, Ventura, Brett Myers, Scott Sullivan)

4 – Gold Refractors (Larry Bigbie, Ventura, Vinny Castilla, Tony Batista)

2 – Black Refractors (Chase Utley, Eric Milton)

1 – Red Xfractors – (Odalis Perez)

1 – Presidential Pastime Refractors – (Abe Lincoln)

1 – Chrome Town Heroes – (Chipper Jones)

1 – Pack Inserted On Card Autographs – (Conor Jackson - FD)


81 Total Cards (1 Card factory damaged...0 duplicates)

(Literal Price - .31¢ per card)

THE BOX BREAK



GET WHAT YOU PAID FOR?

Score: 2

I had no idea how good a deal I got on this box until tonight. I paid $25 at a Card Show. I checked my hobby box seller of choice, CardKid http://www.thecardkid.com/, and found that it's selling there for $105. The cheapest I've found is on eBay with a Buy It Now price of $49.99. That alone makes it an immediate 5 in my opinion.

However, I'm basing my score on what the average buyer will pay. Considering the Auto Checklist, the inserts available, and the overall quality of the cards, I have to give it a 2. I would recommend buying the individual cards on the Internet as opposed to opening boxes to build sets or subsets. Especially considering that you can get a box of 2008 Topps Chrome for about the same price.


HITS WORTH THE HYPE?

Score: 2

Yeah, I know right. WHAT HYPE!?! It's a 2004 product. It's as old as my kid. Considering that I wasn't around the hobby in 2004, I don't know what the hype was like back then for this product. I suppose the “hype” of this product now would be trying to pull either a Carlos Quentin or a Conor Jackson auto, especially the refractors which seem to be going for a pretty penny. If, like me, you're a fan of Presidential Gimmick cards, then the Presidential Pastimes insert set would only fuel the fire of this product. Once again, especially the refractor versions. Otherwise, this isn't much more than one more year of Topps Chrome.


CLASSIC OR EASILY FORGOTTEN?

Score: 1

I go on record as saying that this is my least favorite design of any card product, ever. Yes, that includes mid '90's Bazooka cards and late '80 Panini Stickers. These are some of the stupidest looking cards I've ever seen.


BUY AGAIN?

Score: 3

For the price I paid on this one? You betcha! Topps could “chromify” pictures of Baseball Players on Toilet Paper and I would probably buy a box for $25. $50? Not so much. (Side note: My Jackson auto has a big thumb smudge on the “k”. Kinda frustrating...


OVERALL:

Score: 2 out of 5

I can't believe I'm saying this but lack of “modern day” variations and better inserts leaves a lot lacking in this product. The card design alone keeps me from ever wanting to purchase this product again. They're hideous! Want the C Jack or Quentin autos? Spend $50 on eBay for them. Don't waste your time “hoping” you'll hit with a box. Unless, of course, if you happen to find a great deal on it like I did.


Hope you guys enjoyed it. I appreciate your feedback on the product and look forward to bringing you more of my reviews in the future.




Points are determined on a scale of 1 to 5 (with 5 being the highest.) The average of the four categories will be the overall score.

The pictures throughout the post are my top 5 favorite pulls from the box ranked from top to bottom (with the final card being #1.)





2 comments:

Brian said...

you got a Chrome Town Chipper?!?!?!? That is without a doubt the best card in the set....

you lucky sonofagun....

sweeet!

jv said...

yeah, pretty sweet, huh? You want it? I'll sell it you for my 2008 Ginter Project funds...

or trade it if you have some good 2008 Chrome Copper I need...

Let me know...