Tuesday, June 24, 2008

What a “Shaq@$$” !

As a self proclaimed measure, I’ve told myself that I will not use profanity at TNB. I intend to uphold that ideal throughout the duration of this blog’s life. However, I couldn’t pass up that title.

To those of you concerned, I assure you that this isn’t going to become a Basketball Blog. I am an avid Basketball fan but TNB is dedicated to Baseball and Baseball Cards. I will, from time to time, blog about other sports and occasionally about things not even .01% related to sports. Hopefully, that’s not a problem…

I have 33 minutes and 17 seconds to write this blog. I’m sitting here refreshing the screen every two minutes hoping that I stay on top in my eBay auction for a much needed hobby box of 2008 Topps Chrome. While waiting I stumbled on this article on ESPN regarding Shaq’s loss of his deputy’s badge in Arizona. Click Here for the Story...

I’m not a Shaq lover (or hater for that matter). Honestly, I couldn’t give a rip about Shaq. I never cared for him at LSU, Orlando, LA, or even when he went to my favorite team, the Miami Heat. Now that he’s in Phoenix, it’s pretty much the same story. I could go “Shaqless” if necessary. I have nothing against the guy, he was just born to dominate the NBA. He doesn’t have talent, he has size. Shaq’s talent of dunking on Dirk Nowitzki is equal to the talent of a Peterbilt squashing a team of Carpenter Ants.

The reason I’m posting this story tonight is so that everyone possible has a chance to read it. When I come across things like this I want everyone to know about it. I applaud the sheriff that took this title of authority away from an obviously immature and irresponsible adult. I know that it’s just a slap on the wrist for this “punk” but I hope that more authority figures take these types of stances whenever possible.

If it’s not obvious by now, most all of my writing is affected by the fact that I am a father. I understand that the world needs adult entertainment and I’m not knocking rap, r-rated movies, or violent video games. I like alot of things that I “shield” my kid from. It’s just that I get frustrated that these mediums are all so readily available to our youth. As the parent of a four year old I can’t even begin to imagine how hard it’s going to be as Connor gets older. My kid will one day idolize guys like Shaq and it’s a breath of fresh air to me when someone comes along and shows them for what they really are. I just hope my kids can always see that.

and 3…2…1… crap! Another eBay sniper…

Well, I have 3 more to work towards before the night ends. I’m not limited by how much I’m willing to spend, only by what my Paypal account is down too… I’m literally counting pennies…

Since we’re on the subject of Basketball, my High School Basketball number was 33. I’ve been fascinated with this number ever since. So much so, that I point it out every time that I see it somewhere (which frustrates my wife.) This being my 32nd post, I think it’s fitting that my 33rd post be about the card that kept me in the hobby when I returned last year. After rifling through every card I owned in the Spring of 2007 I was still ready to sell, sell, sell. That is until I came across this single card. I think the 33rd post would be as good a spot for it as any.

I’ll have it up soon…

5 comments:

Dave said...

June 24, 2008 at 9:09 pm e

Great post. As a future father, I don’t know if I can totally shield my future kids from bad role models like Shaq, but I can at least talk to them and explain why they are bad role models, and steer them towards good role models like Madison Bumgarner :)

I’m sorry to hear about the sniper. I used to lose a lot of auctions because of snipers, and my solution was to become a sniper myself. Now, I hardly ever bid on an auction until there are 20 seconds or less and I’m not driving up the price with bidding wars. I only bid earlier if I know I won’t be around a computer when the auction ends. Good luck with getting a Topps Chrome box!

EBay Sniper said...

June 25, 2008 at 2:38 am e

“my solution was to become a sniper myself.”

Exactly.

However, why not use an automated solution. You can then save TIME as well as (hopefully) money.

There are web-based services and desktop applications that you can use to snipe auctions for you.

With the desktop software(jbidwatcher, etc.), you have to leave your computer on and hope that your Internet connection is okay, your PC is running fast, and there are no temporary power outages that would cause your bid not to be placed.

With a web-based service(auctionsniper, Hidbid, etc.)you have to submit your eBay login information so that you can have bids placed for you. However, being web-based, the service would be totally independent from your computer, so it doesn’t matter what type of computer that you have, a pc or Mac, if your computer is turned on or off, etc.

You just had to decide which you are more comfortable with.

If you go the web-based service route, hidbid.com is an eBay auction sniper that you could try but there are a plenty more out there.

Mario A. said...

June 25, 2008 at 7:24 am e

He is a terrible role model but only “on the field”. Off the court he is not a terrible person, at least I don’t think he is. How many times has he been in court on rape charges? He just has a huge ego but many of us do.

In Miami he was always involved with charities, not as much as Alonzo but a good amount. It’s too bad he burned his bridges and is WAY over the hill.

jv said...

jv Says:
June 25, 2008 at 7:37 am e

But, he didn’t make this music “on the field”. 10 good things are usually overshadowed in today’s society by the 1 bad thing.

oljoe73 said...

June 30, 2008 at 11:49 am e

One of the highlights of my 19th year on this planet was seeing Shaq getting knocked out cold with one punch in the LSU athletic dorm. I was there when a fight started because of his big mouth between the basketball team and the football teams defense. 14 on 14. It was funny seeing him crumple from one punch. He was a moron then and is to this day.