Sunday, August 3, 2008

I Pity The Fool

As a self professed Manny fan (if you can call it that anymore) I was more pleased that Manny was traded than anyone. I didn't care where he went or for how long. He could go pitch for the Cardinals and I would be ok with it. Just end the crybaby saga that's been playing out recently.

His recent antics were enough for me to say "no more" to my collecting habits regarding him but not enough for me to start unloading everything. I've held on to my collection and have actually picked up some new stuff (more accidental via pack busting than on purpose.) I still enjoy watching Manny play, when he actually does play (jogging to balls in the gap and not legging out grounders to third do not fall under playing in my opinion) but I've had a hard time admitting that I'm a fan lately. And with good reason.

I breathed a huge sigh of relief when he packed his bags and flew west for the winter. I have never in my life rooted for any Dodger's team or player...EVER. After I read this story this morning. I don't think I'll be doing that anytime soon for Manny.

MLB Trade Rumors reported the following story this morning, courtesy of Gordon Edes of the Boston Globe:

One hour after the trade was announced, Manny's agent, Scott Boras, called the Red Sox with one final offering:

"If the Sox dropped the option years on his contract - which they had agreed to do if they traded him - Boras said Ramírez would not be a problem the rest of the season."

Are you friggin' serious?!? So, Manny's actions were calculated and preconceived? You mean his knee really wasn't hurt? He was faking it to force the BoSox hand? Wow! I didn't see that one coming.

I think I might fire Scott Boras if I were Manny. Prior to this statement, it only appeared that Manny was pulling a "fast one". Now, there is irrefutable proof that he was.

If he could insure that Manny wouldn't be a problem for the rest of the season then he could insure that he could have kept Manny from being a problem prior. That Ramirez would not be a problem the rest of the season if he got his way is the antithesis to the fact that he WOULD be a problem if he didn't get his way.

What a jerk...

Maybe I'm reading a little too much into the statement but I can't see how. It seems pretty clear cut and concise to me.

Since returning to the hobby and finding the Baseball Card Blogs that we each live for each day, I've read Mario's personal take on his all-time hero, Jose Canseco, from start to finish. To me it seemed that with each post, he fell further down the spiral of realizing that his childhood hero wasn't the same guy he used to be. I'm starting to feel the same way for mine.

I wonder how long it'll be before Manny is having the "Dreadlocks" knocked out of him in a publicity boxing match.

4 comments:

jv said...

Ryan C, there's your MR. T reference...

Christmas came early this year...haha..

Ryan Cracknell said...

Wahoo! Next time I'll make the challenge a little tougher for you.

geomon said...

I want that stain glass in my bathroom.

jv said...

Bring it on, Crack!

Matter of fact, I challenge everyone! Give me your best shot. Name something and I'll find a clever way to reference it. That's if I can't do an entire post about it...

Game On!!

If I don't make it happen, as a reward, you get to buy Geomon that stain glass he wants...