Monday, August 25, 2008

Is This The Standard?

I'll admit, I'm completely "green" to the Card Redemption process that apparently occurs on a regular basis in the hobby these days. With the exception of one incident in the past where I was forced to obtain some of my "on average" MoJo TTM I have no gripes. Until now...

The first time I had to redeem a card via USPS, it was so effortless and smooth that as the naive', back from the dead, collector that I was I considered sending Upper Deck a nice long "Thank You for Being a Friend" email. Yes, Mr. Cracknell, Dave Couiler ain't the only obscure reference in my repertoire...

Luckily for me, I found Card Blogs not long after that and realized that the fact that I was pulling a 2006 Dontrelle Willis Upper Deck Special F/X auto well into 2007 (if not early 2008) prooobbbaaabbblllllyyyyyy had something to do with the speedy turn around on getting the card back.

Sometime ago I posted in "Ouch" that I had busted a hobby box of 2008 Upper Deck Goudey with my local Card Shop Owner. After rifling through all 24 packs we were both a little put off that not only did we not pull a game used on average card, the only auto we pulled was an Edwin Encarcanionandoinandogan (not sure on the spelling there.) Jerry, being the outstandingly unselfish guy that he is, gave me a Jackie Joyner-Kersee Sports Royalty auto that he had pulled the day before. Awesome! Beckett says this things worth like $80 bucks. But...wait...eBay says...hold on, this can't be right...$16.48?

Day before yesterday, I drive back over to Clinton to pick up some team bags for packaging on my eBay sales (Widget...eBay...to the right...buy shiny new stuff from me...) I was immediately enticed by the 2 unopened boxes of 2008 BoChro for sale.

100 pack of Team Sleeves...$2

2008 Bowman Chrome Hobby Box...$65

Buying anything more than the 100 sleeves on the debit card...

Homeless...

We made small talk as usual. He pulled out his box and showed me the great pulls he's had recently and then he pulled two new Copper Cards I didn't have. $4 total. Ok, the wife will understand...

Then, I decided to go ahead and buy one pack of an opened box of 2008 Bowman Chrome just to "test the product". $9. "It's not even $10 bucks, Baby!" Yeah, that's what I'll tell her...

Then I remembered the pristine new PayPal Debit Card I was just sent in the mail the other day. Let's test this thing out, Baby, Yeah!! The wife will love this! Now I'm buying new cards by selling old cards. It only took me a year and a half to make good on that promise to the wife...sorry, Darling...

Just as I was tearing the back of the pack open, Jerry says, "Wait! Hold On! Don't open it yet!"

dohuhwhat?

"If you're buying it for the possible 1 auto per box, then I think I might have already pulled it." He says.

He proceeds to go back to the stack of recently pulled cards and pulls out this little gem...

"I don't know what this is. I think you have to mail it off for the autograph but surely this isn't the auto that is supposed to be in the box, right?" Jerry inquires.

He hands me the card and I look it over. "Yeah, that's the auto, Jerry." I say.

"Man, I wasn't tryin' to swindle you, man, I swear." He says.

I know that as much as he does.

"You can give me the pack back and I'll refund the money if you want. That's only fair." He says honest hearted.

"Nah...I'm still curious about the cards. It's cool." I reply.

I couldn't convince him that it was ok for some reason. Jerry genuinely felt bad and couldn't quit worrying that maybe I thought he had purposefully done this to keep me buying up the opened hobby box packs. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that he doesn't tell customers whether or not the pulls have been made in the boxes that are open when he knows that they already have. What idiot businessman would.

And in the current status of the hobby, you can't honestly blame him. You tell customers that the "thrill is gone" and you might as well be trying to sell Sportflics for $5 a pop. Jerry needs people to continue to buy the packs, blindly chasing the "hits" in order to keep his lights on. You might fault him for it, I don't. Jerry didn't do this to the hobby, the hobby did it to him.

The cool thing is that he felt so bad about this (as well as the game used we didn't pull from the Goudey) that he says I can take the card and redeem it if I want. I tell him that I'll do it and bring him the card since he doesn't go on the internet much.

He says that's fine but he insists that I keep the card that they send me. This is why I spend 10% more on his boxes versus ladiesman217's low, low prices. This is why Brick and Mortar will always trump Cables and Keyboards. This is what I miss from the glory days...

I thank him, head straight home and forget about the redemption for a day or so. I finally log in to Topps and redeem the card and this is what I get...


12/06/2008??? Are you serious? What on God's Green Earth takes you that long to get the auto of a guy barely out of diapers, that probably can't even drink Cerveza legally yet, to sign some stickers that you can slap on a piece of cardboard?

So, back to what I started an hour ago before I started getting long winded and rambling on...

Is this the standard? Does it really take this long? Is the glass half empty or half full? Where's Waldo? Who Shot J.R.?

Or am I looking at this through my typical pessimistic 3d glasses? Is this a quick turnaround based on redemptions you might have had/heard about/read about in the past?

I honestly don't know.

3 comments:

fielderschoice said...

When I redeemed my Evan Longoria SPX redemption on Upper Deck's web site a month and a half ago, it told me this:

"Athlete committed to signing soon, please be patient."

So consider yourself lucky to even have an estimated date!

fielderschoice said...

When I redeemed my Evan Longoria SPX redemption on Upper Deck's web site a month and a half ago, it told me this:

"Athlete committed to signing soon, please be patient."

So consider yourself lucky to even have an estimated date!

Joey said...

I have only redeemed one. It was from Topps and I got it pretty quick. I don't remember exactly but I got it before I started to worry about it.

I have read alot online from others with horror stories of redemption cards. Progress has been made but there is still issues like yours. I agree with you though how in the heck can they not get this guys auto to you before December?