Wednesday, August 6, 2008

My Take

By now, most if not everyone has read Beckett's official blog and their newest post about the situation happening over at their new site.

If not, you can read it here, What Happened?

I'll be brief because the comment that I left there, that I intend to reproduce here, is not...

Eric,

Totally different spin here…

I don’t mind the message boards because I’ve NEVER once used them.

I don’t care about the trade fees because I’ve NEVER traded at Beckett.

I also don’t care because as bad an idea as I think the trade fees are, I can 100% ASSURE you that Beckett will tie the fees into the subscriptions in some way shape or form. And, because I’m a subscriber, I don’t care about the fees.

If they don’t…I can’t see how you guys can stay in business. The hobby is expensive enough as it is to go and charge for trades. Especially considering the free sites, which I personally feel have always done a better job at trades than Beckett. Not a pot shot. Just my opinion.

I don’t care about the new site because I learned it in just under 12 minutes. Seriously, if you can’t figure out the site, stick to coloring books, getting the square blocks in the square holes, and scratch and sniff stickers. It’s not that difficult, people.

HHEERREESS my problem:

I’ve been a subscriber for months, if not over a year. I log in at least 3,317 times a day (get the tech guys to check the stats…they’ll confirm.) I pay good money to keep my collection organized. I have a massive collection and it just isn’t feasible to track it via Excel, Access, Word, etc… NOBODY has a better database system than Beckett. That’s why I pay the above mentioned “good money”.

I use MY COLLECTIONS to organize my trades, my eBay sales, and to “nerdily” see what I have on a constant basis. Inaccurate prices be damned…

Why in the h-e-double hockey sticks would I have to “initiate” that my collection be “integrated” into the new site. I started this process last night and I’m now still well over 3,000 on the list to have my collection transfered over! Why didn’t you guys have the foresight to move this stuff without instigation on my part?

Hey, you there, the guy that hasn’t paid a nickel to Beckett for anything. Yeah, you, I’m talking to you. YES, you, nimwit! Quit complaining about Trades Charges, absentee message boards, and having to wait for your NONpaying, NONsubscriber online collection of Jay Buhner Cards to load. SO WHAT! It’s been free to you the whole time.

You’re probably the same guy/gal that got p@#%ssed off when NetZero went to $9.99 per month.

I on the other hand PAY you guys, Eric, when friends like Mario and Gellman belittle me for it. I still do it because it works for me.

BUT NOW, I’m sitting here like a sheep to the slaughter being told how everything is going to be fine and how I should just to look to the hills from whence cometh my Beckett.

I agree with most everything you’re saying here because it sounds to me that most of your complaints are coming from uneducated people who haven’t contributed monetarily for any of the services Beckett offers.

I on the other hand, “ain’t no idiot” and have paid my dues. I have tried the site, learned as much as is available at this point, don’t care for the message board or trade issues, and am now…hold on let me check…ok, I’m back, sorry…in the 3,015th place to have my “money’s worth” migrated over…

All of that being said…

This Sucks…

If my situation doesn’t warrant me the right to say it, then maybe Beckett isn’t for me anymore…

Wanna make me happy since I “paid” for this? Hit the tech guys up in the morning and tell them to move me up the list past anyone that isn’t paying for it.


5 comments:

Gellman said...

My favorite part of the blog guy's response:

"Rumors are great. There is an entire industry devoted to rumors and half-truths–it’s called the mass media…not Beckett Media."

I want to kick him in the teeth after that.

blogbeckett said...

I have the answer--

We did not import the information for two reasons--

1. Old information- TONS of it, too. There were many inactive collections, and sorting through all of it to see what was active and not active would have been impossible.

In addition, what parameters could have been set to decide how long a collection could sit there before deletion? It could have been a year and someone comes back and their stuff is gone...and they are mad.

This way, we hoped to let them in little by little as people signed in, but when whatever server-thing broke, and huge numbers of people showed up...ugh.

It's still all bottled up, and not much can be done without all those folks losing all their information.

From what I understand, there was well over 120,000,000 pieces of information that flooded into a broken server.

Not sure what that means exactly, but to me it sure sounded bad, and the person who told me sure looked tired...

That's all I have right now, but am still working on more.

E

jv said...

Eric, I think if you were to quit Beckett and one day start your "own" blog, you'd hate Beckett "on the record" as we all do...

There's no way that you're believing everything that you saying...

It's almost like I'm watching your eyes move with the teleprompter while you talk...

After 8 years of Dubya, I know a puppet when I see one...No insult intended.

NTXCoog said...

I'm doing my part adding comments to the thread. It's amazing how dismissive they are of negative feedback. I posted that I couldn't even find the help videos that they said to watch. The response was, why does everyone say that they have to watch the videos? His own post topic #1 & #2 say to look at the tutorial and watch the videos.

jv said...

This has gotten so out of hand that they've lost control of the situation. The best thing that they could do is shut down the site for NO MORE than ONE WEEK and work out some of these bugs...

People are only as pissed as they are because they're trying to ride a broken bike. Fix and then let people back in.