Saturday, September 13, 2008

24 Hours To Go


Less than 24 hours to go until it's time, once again, for the bi-monthly card show in Pearl, MS. The time when my son and I load up and head 15 miles west to pick up a couple of packs, maybe a new box or two, and spend some time together. Being the only card show anywhere near my home, I live for it. And, with Christmas around the corner, it'll probably be my last show for 2008.

I've been to probably the last 6 or 8 shows that Mr. Belcher has hosted in the small lobby of the hotel of Interstate 20. It never ceases to amaze me how much I've learned about our hobby in the last year. When I first began visiting his shows I would spend every penny I brought with me. But, it seems like every time I go back, I spend less and I struggle to find the unopened packs and boxes I want.

It's never for lack of selection in boxes, it's simply for price. While he carries products that are close in price to those I find on eBay, I simply can't afford to buy 3 or 4 boxes each trip. So, I end up settling for tons of packs from open hobby boxes. While this gives me the variety I want, it rarely if ever lands me anything notable. Example? My $20 pack bust of 2007 Bowman's Best was more bust than best.

For me, it's the thrill of the chase. It's the "kid in the candy store" syndrome. Where do I start? What do I want? It's the interaction of speaking to other collector's face to face and then bringing those experiences back here to you guys. It's the reiteration that the hobby is not dead, not dying, and not such a bad place to be right now. Sure, it's got it's quirks, but so do all of the other things in life that I love.

So, here's to hoping that I'll have some nice videos to post, maybe a review or two, and another great story of hanging out with the kid who can't quit growing.

1 comment:

fielderschoice said...

Good luck! I can't wait to read about what you come home with...