Friday, September 26, 2008

The Card...Revisited

I hate to admit it but I've completely lost track of who sent me some of the recent packages in the mail. I only have two annotated to post about so if you sent me something that I've failed to mention (outside of the recent "Connor's Birthday" post...that is scheduled for a later date) please send me an email and let me know.

I know that most people feel the same way that I do and don't send things out for recognition. But, I like to give credit where credit is due. I don't intend to post about every trade but I try to post about things that come in with no strings attached.

The first of two packages comes from Dave at Fielder's Choice. When I opened the mailer, I was surprised to find this inside:


At first glance I didn't recognize the significance of Dave's choice in product until after I read the note. I went back and looked at the cards a little closer and that's when it hit me:



This is officially the only Mint copy of "The Card" that I own. I'm dying to open it, but I don't know which idea I like better, a sealed '89 Tom Niedenfuer or the idea of busting some great old cards. Time will tell. For now, it's sealed and put up for safekeeping.

As a current blogger, and as an aspiring writer, it's nice to know when something you've said has made someone think about you when they might not have otherwise. Lately, it's been the idea of being a part of the blogosphere, rather than being a collector, that has kept me from folding under.

I can't lie. I've been more frustrated with collecting than I have ever been in my life. But, I've come to realize that the frustration from the card companies, the price guides, the sellers and the packsearchers have the ability to push anyone out of the hobby fairly quickly if you let it.

But, I've also come to realize that I've focused on the wrong aspect of collecting. Rather than worry about the things that may or not be changeable, I'm going back to focusing on the things that matter.

The friendships and contacts that I've made through this blog matter to me more than any of the grievances I have with the hobby. It's packages like this that make me proud to call myself a collector... Thanks, Dave!

1 comment:

fielderschoice said...

Yeah, that guy Dave is a pretty cool guy!