Friday, September 26, 2008

Old School

The second of the two mentioned packages came more recently...

I'm still in the throes of trying to complete a set of 2008 Topps Chrome Copper Refractors. This is proving to be the most difficult set I've ever tried to accomplish. I've pulled, on average, 2 per hobby box and 4 out of every 5 blasters. That's roughly $200 while pulling only about 8 to 10 Coppers. I've gotten lucky with a few random single retail and hobby packs but it would cost literally tens of thousands of dollars, if not millions to build this set that way.

Obviously, I'm not trying to build a set with unopened stuff, but it's a nice incentive in what has become my favorite product of this year. UD Masterpieces may dethrone the Chrome before December 31st though.

I currently own 51 of the 220 needed to complete the set. Thanks to the generosity of John at Old School Box Breaks I'm now 3 cards closer to the prize.

I've heard it said from both sides of the floor (sorry for the political phrase...) that the hobby was "better way back when" or that it's "better now than it'll ever be." I think that I'm starting to agree with the latter.

I don't know about you guys, but as much as I love 80's Donruss, I can't recall anyone EVER giving me any cards for any reason. To have someone pay out of their own pocket to send something that they spent their hard earned money on, simply to give to another person something that they want is unheard of these days in most circles.

If for no other reason, the hobby is better today than it was when I was a kid. I think John and I would have gotten along great back in the day. Thanks John for bringing me closer to completing this set! I appreciate your consideration and the effort you put into sending these my way.


To anyone else that may have sent something unannounced and that didn't receive a thank you from me, whether via email or via post, please contact me and let me know.

It's embarrassing to say that I've now combined all of my "working" boxes into my collection without having first annotated who sent what. But the deed is done and I would like to say thanks to anyone that I missed.

Since the cards I have pail in comparison to the cards I need, I figured it would be easier to show you what I currently have:

#5 Miguel Cabrera
#11 Yovani Gallardo
#13 Dontrelle Willis
#14 Orlando Cabrera
#19 Jose Reyes
#26 Jason Bay
#32 Johan Santana
#34 Andruw Jones
#41 Brandon Webb
#47 Tim Lincecum
#54 Russell Martin
#56 Jim Edmonds
#58 Melky Cabrera
#60 Manny Ramirez
#63 Roy Oswalt
#65 Hunter Pence
#67 Roy Halladay
#68 Rich Harden
#99 Nick Markakis
#102 Kenji Johjima
#105 Travis Hafner
#109 Nick Swisher
#112 Carlos Guillen
#114 Torii Hunter
#125 Freddy Sanchez
#126 Rocco Baldelli
#127 Tom Gorzelanny
#128 Adrian Gonzalez
#131 Albert Pujols
#133 Jeremy Bonderman
#134 B.J. Upton
#137 A.J. Burnett
#141 Ryan Zimmerman
#143 Carlos Lee
#150 Homer Bailey
#151 Curtis Granderson
#152 Ken Griffey Jr.
#153 Kazuo Matsui
#157 Carlos Beltran
#158 Kelly Johnson
#163 Greg Maddux
#164 Eric Chavez
#166 Michael Young
#175 Rickie Weeks
#181 Matt Kemp
#189 Gregg Zaun
#191 Edinson Volquez
#192 Jeff Niemann
#203 Gregor Blanco
#205 Brian Bocock
#213 Wesley Wright

If anyone has any that they would like to trade, email me at papajvscards@gmail.com.

1 comment:

oldschoolbreaks said...

I'm always happy to help JV!