Saturday, September 20, 2008

Skate at Your Own Risk

Recent posts and comments by fellow bloggers, recent economic strains in the household, and the recent "absolute worst box I've ever busted for the price" have put me into an "Is it Worth It Anymore" mode.

I'm not dropping out of collecting. But, I'll be honest. I'm considering it. I think we all should. One thing that concerns me is the backlash that I, along with other bloggers, get for our posts and comments from time to time. There seems to me to be a large contingency of collectors who simply don't want to hear the negative aspects of the hobby. They don't want it be what it is.

Broken.

It's been my personal goal (some might call it a vendetta) to find ways to bring people back into the hobby and to keep them there. It seems to me that through my attempts at honesty I've done just the opposite. My gripes have not stemmed from my pessimism, as I've tried my best to be unbiased and fair with both the readers and myself. It is rooted, however, in the actuality of a hobby that's simply not working.

I've learned alot about myself over the last 24 hours after this great post by Dinged Corners concerning the Jungian Typology Test. I went into it completely blind. I had never heard of this before and I didn't want to understand the differences in personality types based on their methods prior to answering the questions for myself. I wanted to get an accurate assessment of myself based on this project.

I wasn't suprised to find that I'm an INTJ, or Introverted iNtuitive Thinking Judging. For those loyal fans of TNB that have read the entirety, or at least the majority, of the posts I've submitted, consider the following key points that exemplify my personality type. Do you think these fit me?

To outsiders, INTJs may appear to project an aura of "definiteness", of self-confidence. This self-confidence, sometimes mistaken for simple arrogance by the less decisive, is actually of a very specific rather than a general nature; its source lies in the specialized knowledge systems that most INTJs start building at an early age. When it comes to their own areas of expertise -- and INTJs can have several -- they will be able to tell you almost immediately whether or not they can help you, and if so, how.

INTJs know what they know, and perhaps still more importantly, they know what they
don't know.

INTJs are perfectionists, with a seemingly endless capacity for improving upon anything that takes their interest. INTJs apply (often ruthlessly) the criterion "Does it
work?"

INTJs see what
might be and say "Why not?!"

In the career path that I've chosen, I've lived by one motto. I'm not much for catch phrases unless they actually work. This one is pretty cut and dry.

"I'll make you better or I'll make you leave."

This has been the driving force behind the words and deeds as applied to those individuals that work for me. With this mindset, I always win. I either sit back and watch someone become more productive or I watch them go. I have had to fire employees in the past. But, 7 times out of 10, I've convinced them that the job wasn't for them and then accepted their resignation. In both scenarios I've gone to my wit's end to insure that the employee or manager has applied themselves fully and that I've exhausted all avenues of corrective/developmental counseling.

All of that being said, this week's theme song for TNB is the following:



For those interested, you can watch me work out my collecting psychosis over the next week. I honestly don't know which side of the spectrum I'll end up on. I lean more towards continuing to collect but something has got to give for me to stay here.

With my personality type, I don't think I'll be able to give up on the hobby. I'm more inclined to believe that I'll spend the rest of my life trying to find ways to right the wrongs.

Hopefully, we'll all learn a little more about ourselves after this week of TNB is finished.


1 comment:

PerfectMomentProject said...

Don't give it up. You love it. And it's worth doing just for that reason.

Hey, you may like this lesson learned this week about Free Lunches.

and where it took me on my thoughts about charity.

Coming from a father-less household, I turned to father images and one influential one was Andy Griffith. Take a look.