Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Birthday Bash! - Package 3 - BoxBusters

So far we've opened the packages from Achiever Card Blog and Cardboard Junkie. I'm pleased to announce that this video as well as ALL remaining entries in this series will only contain one video.

The next video and package comes from W. Ross of Boxbusters. And, it contains what is easily one of my favorite moments from the series of videos that we filmed.



To the best of my knowledge without having reviewed the other videos, Ross' package contained one of the better "hits" as we older collectors would call it. Yet, you'll see that Connor didn't focus on it for very long and probably wouldn't have had I not pointed it out to him.

I hope I come across the right way on this without offending anyone, and especially Ross. The card is a 2008 edition parallel of an Upper Deck product and is numbered to 149! You can immediately see my own excitement at the card, however, Connor has other agendas.

I'm sure that there are some of you that are really enjoying these short films, while others are thinking that this idea is "getting old". Maybe some of you are skipping these posts altogether, waiting for TNB to go back to being a grownup blog. But, herein lies my motivation and my true intentions for having started this blog.

The card will hold a very special place for Connor somewhere down the line. But for now, it will sit in it's toploader, proudly perched atop his bookshelf. It's shiny and, yes, he'll take it down and look at it from time to time. But the excitement won't last for long. He'll quickly place it back on the shelf and go back to all of the stickers that he's yet to peel and place precariously around our home.

This is the beauty of introducing a child to collecting. When we go to card shops he only wants packs with gum because he ultimately only wants the gum. The cards are a bonus. He loves the shiny cards and he loves when he recognizes Babe Ruth or the Indians, the Tigers, the Braves. But, even more so he loves when those cards are peelable.

Maybe Ross had a vision of the future. Maybe Ross realized that one day Connor will pick up that card and look back and cherish it's origins, that he'll remember the day that he opened the package and became an Internet star. Or maybe Ross just took me at my word and sent a shiny Astro's card.

In either case, Ross also sent some old stickers that the rest of us would bury in an box somewhere. Sometimes our idea of hits are really just base cards and our commons are the true treasure.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And for now, the stickers take precedence. Watching the innocence and purity of a kid discovering what he likes about the hobby takes me back every time that I witness it with my son. It reminds me that the joy of collecting doesn't always lie in acquiring the latest and greatest, the most expensive and most rare.

It reminds me that it all starts somewhere and that you ultimately collect what you love. My kid hasn't learned to love low numbered, great looking inserts. But, because of the foundation I'm giving him, one day he will.

Thank you Ross, for a great package! I hope that you understand the sentiment in which I'm writing this post. The card as well as everything else that you sent in your gift is greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to be a part of this!




As it stands right now, my plans are to get one new video every day through Sunday. Thursday will be Fleer Sticker Project, Friday will be Dinged Corners, Saturday will be Fielder's Choice, and Sunday will end the Birthday videos will Indians Cards Always.

However, we plan to visit my parents this weekend in North Mississippi and I have limited internet access while I'm there. In the event that I'm not able to get the posts up on schedule, Fielder's Choice and Indians Cards will be Monday and Tuesday, respectively, of next week.

9 comments:

--David said...

"Stickers! Stickers! Stickers!"

Now, THAT is priceless!

jv said...

He's "singsaying" it to the tune of a Backyardigans song but I can't remember which one...

I think it's something about, "float, flutter, fly" but I'm not sure.

Flash said...

Float, flutter, fly? Is that a Tim Wakefield reference?

Boxbusters.net said...

LoL Great stuff man. I'm glad he enjoyed everything and was more than happy to take part.

jv said...

Flash, that might possibly be, hands down, my most favorite comment that anyone has ever left at TNB. That's hilarious...

jv said...

Thanks again, Ross. I really hope I didn't come across the wrong way in wording the post. He loved the card he was just more enthused at the moment with the stickers.

Your package was great!!

Boxbusters.net said...

LoL not at all man I figured he would care more about the stickers. I just got that card out of a blaster I bought before I started the blog and didn't have much use for it in my Cardinals collection.

Dave said...

Holy crap - we have the exact same pillows that you have on your couch! Did you get them from Rooms To Go?

jv said...

Honestly, I think the pillows came with the couch, Dave. I can't remember.

I just give the wife the checkbook and say, "get what we need."

Then I hop in my trusty 12 year old Pontiac Sunfire and ride off into the sunset...

And, by sunset I mean work to make more money to put in said checking account...

hahahaha