Thursday, October 2, 2008

Open Office

It's been quite awhile since I've posted any services. As is usual with these posts, I won't go in to any great detail about the product. And, as always, I'm not making any money off of this. I just like to point out when I come across something that I think might help you in some way.

When I bought my new laptop this summer, I quickly found that my copy of Microsoft Office wouldn't work for Vista as it did for XP. Determined not to spend the $235123123455r3245.33 it costs for Office, I chose to go with a freeware version.

It was good timing for me, otherwise I probably would have shelled out the cash for Office out of impatience. My company had recently switched to a program that I had heard of but had never used called OpenOffice.org. Since I was going to have to learn the ins and outs of the program anyway, I figured it best to go ahead and use it on my personal computer as well. (You can find the download link by clicking the logo to the right.)

While it's not nearly as powerful as Microsoft Office, it does just fine for everyday computing. Actually, in all fairness, unless you've built Macros in Excel that turn on your coffee maker, you won't notice much of a difference.

You might be fine for a couple of years on your current copy of Microsoft Office. But, the day will come when you have to upgrade. Why not go ahead and download a copy of OpenOffice and start practicing with it now?

Trust me, the money you'll save will far outweigh the differences in product. And, speaking from experience, you'll one day realize that you've forgotten what the differences actually are.

(Linux...here I come!!!)

3 comments:

fielderschoice said...

Hey, I know you like Open Office, but I can get you a free copy of Microsoft Office 2003 if you're interested... it's not the latest version, but it does run on Vista.

jv said...

For the love of God, please send it to me!! I'm so frustrated with Open Office I can't see straight.

I just posted this in an effort to be more optimistic...hahaha

No, seriously, I spend alot of time with spreadsheets and OpenOffice has been difficult for me to learn because I had learned Excel forward and backwards.

I'll definitely take a copy if you wanna send it.

thehamiltonian said...

I was in the same boat - I'd used up my licenses for Office when I bought a new computer. I really like Open Office - once I figured out the formats to use so I could switch between MS at work, and Open Office at home, I was sailing. I haven't done a lot of detailed spreadsheet work with it, but it seems to work well for everything I need it to do,