Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Congratulations, Kid!!

I’m officially back from the trip to visit my family in North Mississippi. Thank you for your prayers and consideration during this difficult time. I loved my aunt but we hadn’t seen each other much in the last few years. The most difficult part was watching my dad so upset over losing his big sister. There’s nothing more heartbreaking than watching your father cry. Thank you again for keeping us in your thoughts.

Now back to business. After a frustratingly injury prone career, Ken Griffey, Jr still managed to reach the 600 home run plateau. I honestly lost a lot of faith in him in the late ’90’s as I was exiting the baseball scene. I was shocked when I returned in 2007 that not only was The Kid still playing but that he was so close to reaching such a momentous milestone. What an amazing career!

Tonight, I’m sure 90% of us bloggers are penning our “Congratulations” post of some sort. I know that I’m one of many as much as I know that Ken Griffey, Jr. will more than likely never read this post. I still want to personally say thanks to Griffey for nearly 20 years of memories, highlight plays, and stories that I will pass on to my son as the years progress.

(Come on, Manny! You can still make 7th on the list…)

2 comments:

  1. June 10, 2008 at 1:25 pm e

    I love Ken Griffey Jr. When I was a kid he and Don Mattingly were my two favorite baseball players. The time my father took me to meet him in person is one of my fondest childhood memories. When we buy a house, and I finally have a place to display all my sports memorabilia, the bat he signed for me that day will be one of the pieces I’m most proud to show off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. June 11, 2008 at 12:03 am e

    That’s awesome! You know, the more I watch Griffey, Jr. and reflect back on his career I’m amazed that I never collected him. Maybe it was the “Jordanesque” status he held. I respected Michael Jordan’s accomplishments on the court and loved to watch him play but I was never a true fan simply because everyone else seemed to be. I’ve always been more of an underdog follower.

    I would love to own a piece of memorabilia that I’ve had personally signed. I’ve yet to attend my first MLB game! I’m actually going to my first Minor League game this friday. Maybe I’ll come back with some good autos…

    ReplyDelete