Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Take Me Out To The Ballgame - Part 2

This post may not make sense unless you’ve read the first post in this two part series. I’ll give you a few minutes to go read that one if you haven’t done so already…Go ahead, I’ll wait…

Finished, already? Great! Moving on…

As a father, if you’re worth worth the rock they’ll carve your name into one day, you want your children to have more than you did when you were a kid. No matter what your childhood was like, rich or poor, loving or broken, happily forgotten or cherished, you want more than that for your children.

As a child, I longed for the chance to attend a Major League Baseball Game. Rangers, Royals, Padres, anywhere, I didn’t care. I had an aunt and uncle in Atlanta that we visited during a few summers, yet for some reason, we never made it to a Braves game. Every time that we went to Karen and Tim’s house I would stow away all of my Dave Justice and Chipper Jones cards in my backpack hoping to meet them and get their autographs. Even when I knew we weren’t going to a game, I took them just in case. I was so worried that I would run into one of them on the street somewhere unprepared.

My aunt’s, Joy and Sharon, have lived in Illinois for as long as I can remember. To this day, I never made it up there to visit them. As a kid, I would lie in bed at night in New Albany, MS and think about what it would be like to go there and get Frank Thomas’ autograph. I can’t tell you how many times I fell asleep and dreamed of this, holding the “Big Hurt’s” cards in my hands.

Now, as a 28 year old man, I sit on my porch at 4 in the morning writing about the hobby of my youth, realizing that those days are gone forever. No matter how much I wish for it, I can never go back. Phil Plantier, Cal Eldred, and John Kruk are gone. So is the eleven year old lying in his bed, holding Frank Thomas cards.

But here I sit almost 18 years later, lucky enough to be able to give my son those opportunities. As long as he enjoys it, I can live vicariously through him. I can go back in time and do those things I never got to do.

As patiently as possible, Connor tried to understand the game from my explanations. He sat in my lap and screamed everything that I did. “Hit a homer, Quentin!” “We need a Base Hit, K.K.!” And my favorite, “Come on, Ump!! What kind of call is that!?!” Daddy’s little man.

Middle way of the game, Spider Man and the Incredible Hulk made their appearances at the top of the stands. This is what he came for. He chased the Hulk around growling. He posed for pictures and he got both of their autographs. When he met Spider Man, he was literally speechless. My son is NEVER speechless.

Late in the game, when the Braves had taken a 3-0 lead, I held Connor in my arms. He was as exhausted as I was. We stood on the very back row and he waved his “Number #1 Fan” Finger and his Braves “Tomahawk”. All of a sudden, everyone started doing the “Tomahawk Chop”! I was amazed! I could have sworn that they had quit allowing it for fear of offending Native Americans. Apparently, I was wrong.

My eyes almost filled with tears when Connor, still resting comfortably in my arms, began to follow suit with all of the fans at Trustmark Park. He had no idea what he was doing. The 11 year old in me was revived as I stood there teaching him the “chant”. We were both just little boys at a baseball game.

The night dwindled down. The 7th inning stretch rolled around and once again I held Connor in my arms as Lori and I sang “Take Me Out To The Ballgame” with him. Eventually the game was over. The fireworks display afterwards went as quickly as it came. We slowly made our way to the exits.

Everything worth doing ends too soon.

I revel in the fact that this won’t be our last trip to a ball game. We’ll probably make 1 or 2 more Braves games before the end of the season. We’ll watch MLB and NCAA together on TV and before you know it the World Series will come and go. Hopefully, we’ll end up in a Major League Stadium at some point.

Next spring, our 2nd season of T-Ball will begin. Not long after that, he’ll wave to me from the window of his school bus and then I’ll be teaching him how to drive. Connor will graduate and move off to college and in the blink of an eye I’ll get that phone call saying that he’s found “The One”. Then I’ll hold my first grandson in my arms.

I’ll bury my father and then my friends will all die one by one. I’ll find myself at a coffee shop talking about them. My “old man name” will be, J.L. Voyles. No one will call me Jason except for the beautiful woman with gray hair to whom I made the promise to spend my life with. We’ll dance in the dark to songs we fell in love to 50 years before. I’ll wake up one morning and she’ll be gone and my heart will never again look to the future, only the past. My hips and knees will cease to function correctly and Connor will take my car keys from me for the last time. Ultimately, I’ll lay down and close my eyes and people will cry and hold one another.

And in those last few seconds, when my eyes close for the last time, I’ll find myself forever standing in the bleachers holding Connor, waving our tomahawk, proud that I was his father and that I gave him more than I ever had.

13 comments:

  1. June 17, 2008 at 8:22 am e

    One of the best posts, I have ever read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. June 17, 2008 at 8:26 am e

    Thanks! I have to be honest, I’ve yet to reread this post without getting a little “teary-eyed” at the end. I hope everyone enjoys this post. This one meant alot to me…

    ReplyDelete
  3. June 17, 2008 at 9:42 am e

    Well that brought tears to my eyes, thank you I am at work. You know that you, Lori, and Conner are welcome anytime. It’s about an hour drive to the Braves Stadium, but I would love to have you come visit and attend a Braves game with me. Just let me know:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. June 17, 2008 at 10:33 am e

    Outstanding! Not only one of your posts, but one of the best that I’ve ever read anywhere. It really makes me look forward to the day that I have a son. I should have my wife read your blog, although she may use it to try to get me to agree to have kids sooner than we’re planning…

    ReplyDelete
  5. June 18, 2008 at 6:16 am e

    man you’re right…i did get misty. what a great honor to be blessed with a child and understand and enjoy the responsibility. from one humble father to another, one sports fan to another, let’s enjoy and remember the good times man!

    ReplyDelete
  6. June 22, 2008 at 2:06 pm e

    Looks like you guys had a blast! You’re son is adorable! Can I adopt him? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. June 22, 2008 at 7:36 pm e

    Adopt him? Wait till you see the 1990 Topps Video Box Break we conducted last night. You might change your mind…haha. I have to do some editing (maybe) but I’ll have it asap…

    ReplyDelete
  8. June 23, 2008 at 4:56 am e

    Nice man. The ending brought tears to my eyes. =(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Ryan! Glad you came to the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The end of your post really has me thinking. How lucky you and your family are to have these Perfect Moments, and to notice them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the comment, Lori! I'm glad you liked the story!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow jv...that is so fantastic ! Thank you so much for sending me this link and for letting me share in such a special and wonderful page. You and your little boy Connor are very special.

    Judy G (aka Lily Yoville)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! beautifully written, and once again you should become a professional writer. You're son is so very lucky to have a Dad like you, & i'm sure he ALREADY realizes how lucky. Being a Dad is such a sacred thing and i'm glad to see one is taking that in full consideration. And i just know your wife is so in love with you not only for all the reasons in the pre-connor; but even more so now watching you with ya'lls son. Most adorable family.

    -Stephanie

    ReplyDelete